ACT Skilled Migration Program closed to overseas applicants until July 2017

Effective 14 September 2016, if you are living overseas you cannot apply for ACT nomination of a Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa until July 2017. 

Canberra residents

This action does not affect Canberra based applicants. You are still able to apply for ACT nomination if you meet the nomination criteria.

Streamlined PhD nominations

The ACT will accept applications for streamlined nomination from ACT PhD alumni living overseas.  If you meet the nomination criteria, email for advice on how to lodge the online application. 

ACT Occupation List will be updated in July 2017

The demand for ACT occupations will be reassessed in July 2017. The updated ACT Occupation List will be published when the ACT Migration Program reopens to overseas applicants in July 2017, 

Taxation System

Australians pay tax so our government can provide services to our community, ranging from hospitals, schools and roads to recycling centres, national parks and even your local swimming pool.

The main tax you'll pay is income tax, which is charged on income you receive, such as salary and wages, investment income and business income. At the end of the income year (30 June), most people need to lodge an annual tax return.
The amount of income tax you pay is linked to how much you earn and whether you're an Australian resident. The more you earn, the higher your rate of tax.

Before you start work, or soon after, you may need to get a tax file number (TFN). You don't have to have a TFN, but you pay more tax if you don't have one.

You can apply for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office.